Do you want to discover the best channels for vertical and urban gardening? Are you looking for great ideas on how to start your own organic garden? Are you in search of crucial tips to make the most of your urban garden? If these questions sound familiar, then you are in the right place! Here, we have rounded up the top YouTube channels filled with practical advice and useful tips for all types of gardeners, from the beginner to the experienced. Keep reading to find your favourite!
Vertical gardening: Top Youtube Channels
Vertical Garden Supply
Vertical Garden Supply is a YouTube channel that provides resources on vertical gardening, living walls, green walls, retaining walls, green roofs, roof gardens, living retaining walls, greenwall ventures and verdant technologies. Through their engaging video content and educational blog, viewers can learn more about the latest developments in vertical gardening and discover ideas for creating a lush green wall in their outdoor space. With expert advice and easy-to-follow tutorials, Vertical Garden Supply takes the guesswork out of vertical gardening.
Robbie and Gary Gardening Easy
Robbie and Gary Gardening Easy is a YouTube channel dedicated to teaching viewers how to grow food organically in their own backyard. Topics covered range from vertical gardening and container gardening, to how to create a food forest and even compost in place in your California garden. Tune in to learn everything you need to know to start growing your own fresh, organic vegetables.
Next Level Gardening
Next Level Gardening is a YouTube channel devoted to providing organic gardening tips to both experienced and novice gardeners. They specialize in vertical and small space gardening, square foot gardening, and backyard gardening, all specifically tailored to the Southern California region. Follow their channel to learn more about organic vegetable gardens, tropical gardens, and other various garden tips!
Growing In The Garden
Growing In The Garden is a YouTube channel dedicated to providing quality information about growing in hot and arid climates. The channel covers topics such as vertical gardening, desert gardening, arizona gardening, and much more. Hosted by a master gardener, you can learn how to garden in challenging conditions and even start your own low desert garden.
Plants On Walls
Plants On Walls YouTube channel showcases creative and unique ways to save space and bring nature into your home with vertical gardening, living walls, and greenwalls. From small space solutions to larger urban gardening projects, this channel provides inspiring ideas for creating beautiful home gardens through the use of vertical gardens. Explore creative possibilities for green walls and maximize any space with inspiring ideas from this channel.
Types of Plants Suitable for Vertical Gardening
Vertical gardening is becoming increasingly popular as many seek to create an aesthetically pleasing, living wall within their home. This type of gardening allows for maximum creativity, while still allowing your plants the freedom to grow vertically. So what types of plants are suitable for vertical gardening?
- When selecting plants for vertical gardening, the main consideration should be the plant’s mature size. Ideally, you should choose plants that can remain small and compact. Some of the best options for vertical gardening are creeping groundcovers, such as English ivy, liriope, and stonecrop. Other choices include strawberries, sweet potato vine, Chinese evergreen, spider plants, and ferns.
- Continue to consider the sunlight and temperature requirements of the plants you select. By choosing species that are adapted to the climate conditions of your region, you are sure to have success with your vertical garden. For example, tropical plants may not perform as well outdoors in areas with cooler climates. After selecting your plants, ensure your vertical wall has adequate drainage and sufficient light for the plants to thrive. With these considerations in mind, you can create the perfect vertical garden for your home.
By sourcing the right plants, you have the opportunity to create a stunning, living wall in your garden. Select plants with a compact size and consider the climatic conditions of your region. With adequate drainage and light, you’ll be sure to flourish with a vertical gardening project.
Common Mistakes to Avoid when Planting a Vertical Garden
Vertical gardens are becoming a popular way to make the most of limited space for growing plants indoors or outdoors. If you're embarking on the adventure of creating a vertical garden, here are some common mistakes you should avoid.
- The first mistake is beginning without a plan. Vertical gardens often require planning and exact measurements to ensure that the placement of the plants is correct and also to make sure that your garden is aesthetically pleasing. Don’t forget to consider weight and how many tiers you can safely install with your chosen wall design.
- Another common mistake is over-watering or not providing enough water. With a vertical garden, you need to be mindful of water distribution as it’s not as easy as with normal ground-level gardens. Ensure the wall is potted with the right drainage mechanism and consider putting drippers or wicks in the pots for better water distribution.
- Finally, try to work out an adequate fertilization program for your vertical garden. You will need to purchase special fertilizers for vertical gardens, as the plants will not be able to absorb the same amount of plant food that they would in the normal garden. Have an understanding of the needs of each individual plant before you fertilize them.
By avoiding these common mistakes when planting a vertical garden, you’ll be able to create a beautiful and vibrant garden that will last for many years. With the right planning and research, your vertical garden can be a stunning feature in your home.
Supplies Needed to Create a Vertical Garden
Creating a vertical garden is a great way to bring life and color to an outdoor or even indoor space. However, there are a few supplies you’ll need to get started. Here’s a list of the basic supplies required to build a vertical garden:
- First, you’ll need to choose a container. There are endless options that you can use to create your garden- anything from a trellis to a wall pocket. A planter box is an ideal option, as it’s wide enough to accommodate several plants and can also be raised on a stand for added height.
- Next, you’ll need to choose your plants. Your selection should be based on the amount of sun and shade the wall will receive. Remember to select plants that will thrive in the same height and arrangement as they all need to be given the same amount of light and water. You’ll also want to make sure the plants’ root systems are compatible and won’t compete for resources.
- Lastly, you may need soil, fertilizer, and a watering system for your plants, depending on the type of garden you’re creating.
Finally, you may want to add decorations to your garden. This is a great way to give your vertical garden a unique and personal touch. Consider items such as small figurines, wall hangings, or string lights to take your vertical garden to the next level. With these basic supplies in hand, you’ll be on your way to creating a beautiful and vibrant vertical garden in no time.