For those looking to add more green to their lives, learning to garden with native plants is a great way to get started. Gardening with native plants can provide a variety of benefits, from providing a home for local wildlife to improving the ecological balance of the area. It can also be a great way to DIY your own sustainable garden and add some stunning flowers and foliage to your home. Whether you're looking to attract wildlife, learn more about plants, or just want to start gardening, there's a lot to learn about native plant gardening. Learn more to discover the best YouTube channels for native plant gardening, DIY projects, and lots of tips and tricks to get you started!
Florida Native Plant Society
The Florida Native Plant Society YouTube channel is a great resource for those interested in learning about native plant gardening. This nonprofit organization focuses on promoting the preservation, restoration, and conservation of native plants in Florida and beyond. Through their videos, viewers can learn about the importance of native plants and how they can get involved in environmental conservation.
Southern Cal Native Plant Gardening
The Southern Cal Native Plant Gardening YouTube channel features videos about native plant gardening, planting native plants in a garden, setting up native bee gardens, and what plants are best for bees, butterflies, and other pollinators. You can take a virtual tour of various native plant gardens and learn about different types of flowers that can attract butterflies and other pollinators.
Ninety % Native
The Ninety % Native YouTube channel is an excellent resource for those looking to create a sustainable and thriving native plant garden. They offer advice on how to create wildlife habitats, vegetable gardens, flower farms, cutting gardens, and many other types of native plant gardens, such as woodland gardens and shade gardens. They have an extensive library of information and tutorials to help new gardeners get started.
NativeHabitatProject is a YouTube channel dedicated to teaching viewers about native plant gardening and helping them to create a lifestyle around natural gardening. With educational videos, tutorials, and discussions, the channel provides a comprehensive guide to living a more sustainable lifestyle.
Growit Buildit is a popular YouTube channel devoted to native plant gardening, seed starting, and DIY garden projects. There, viewers can explore a variety of topics, such as choosing the right native plants for their location, starting plants from seeds, and creating eco-friendly garden projects. Through nature-focused videos, viewers can learn how to create gardening solutions for their homes while being mindful of the environment.
Theodore Payne Foundation
The Theodore Payne Foundation's YouTube channel is a great resource for native plant gardening enthusiasts. You can find educational videos about California's native plants, plant hauls from their nursery, and learn about topics such as ecology and botany. There's something for everyone interested in the beauty of native plants!
The Suburban Gardenista
The Suburban Gardenista is a YouTube channel about native plant gardening and lifestyle. It is perfect for those who are looking to cultivate their outdoor spaces with native plants and get tips and advice on how to improve their lifestyle in the process. It offers a wide range of videos featuring topics such as gardening inspiration, designing a garden for wildlife, and creating a sustainable garden. Whether you are a beginner or a pro, you will find helpful tips about native plant gardening and lifestyle on this channel.
Choosing the Right Native Plants for Your Garden
Choosing the right native plants for your garden can make a huge impact on its beauty and sustainability, but there are many factors to consider.
- To properly select native plants for your garden, you should be familiar with the climate, sunlight, and soil quality of the local area. Climate in particular is essential as it determines which plants will thrive and what care they may need. Additionally, consider what native plant species will attract the desired wildlife–pertinent to many backyard habitat projects.
- By understanding the local conditions, you can better decide what plants to introduce to your garden. Researching plants that are well suited to your area can also help determine which native species will work best for your garden. When purchasing plants, be sure to get high-quality specimens and don’t skimp on cost. Poor quality plants will likely die off quickly, squandering the money and time spent on them.
Overall, be sure to consider all the variables before investing in plants for your garden. Your garden must be suitable for the local climate and the species you select must make sense in the habitat you are creating. With proper consideration and research, you can find the perfect native plants to beautify and enhance your garden.
Advantages of Native Plant Gardening
Native plant gardening offers a host of benefits for gardeners as well as for the local wildlife and environment. For gardeners, native plant gardens require fewer inputs, such as fertilizer, insecticides, herbicides or supplemental water, meaning you save money and time maintaining them. They also tend to be more resilient and thrive in your local climate, withstanding regional environmental conditions such as changes in temperature, rainfall, and soil type.
- Native plant gardens are also beneficial for the local wildlife. By planting regionally appropriate species, you provide a more diverse habitat for local fauna including birds, hedgehogs, insects, frogs, toads and other creatures. Native plants are often better hosts for snails, insects, and other creatures, while non-native plants do not. Moreover, they offer much needed shelter, food, and water to local birds and other animals.
- Native plant gardens also help protect local biodiversity and assist in conserving regional ecosystems. Native plants help stabilize and build local soils while reducing erosion and siltation. They also help support the pollinators that are critical for all of our crops. Planting native species also helps reduce the spread of invasive plants, which can wreak havoc on local ecosystems.
Native plants are an integral part of the natural system, protecting against habitat destruction, preserving watersheds, and cycling essential nutrients. As such, choosing to garden with native species can support biodiversity, and have lasting, positive impacts on an area's local ecology.
Native Plant Garden Maintenance and Care
A native plant garden has a lot of benefits including using fewer resources and conservation of habitats, as well as providing a beautiful contribution to your outdoor living space. However, native plant garden maintenance and care is important in order to keep them healthy and looking their best. Here are some tips for keeping your native plant garden looking its best.
- First, it’s important to understand the native climate requirements of each plant in your garden. Native plants are adapted to the environment where they grow, so mimicking those conditions in your garden is key. As a part of this, it’s important to only water when the soil is dry and to avoid over-watering, ensuring that the plants are receiving the correct amount of water. Reduce your garden’s need for water by mulching your garden beds to help keep the soil moist.
- Pruning is also important for your native plant garden. Trim dead branches off shrubs and remove dead flowers from perennials. This will not only improve the look of your garden, but it will make the healthiest plants get plenty of sunlight and nutrients. Finally, don’t forget to periodically inspect your garden for pests and diseases. Appropriate pest control and treatment will help keep your plants healthy and looking their best. With regular care and maintenance, you can enjoy the beauty of a native plant garden for years to come.
These are just a few tips for native plant garden maintenance and care - there’s plenty of information online and from local nurseries to help you ensure that your native plants stay healthy and look their best. With a bit of knowledge and TLC, you can create and enjoy a beautiful garden of native plants that will be both beautiful and beneficial for the environment.