Are you interested in finding the best YouTube channels to educate yourself on the rich and fascinating history of music? Whether it's music from across the centuries, genres from classical to hip-hop, or a vibrant blend of science and entertainment, these channels offer unique resources and lessons to explore. Keep reading to discover the best YouTube channels for music history!
Music history: Top Youtube Channels
Only Music and History
Only Music and History is a YouTube channel dedicated to celebrating the craft of classical music and exploring the people and stories behind it. Featuring musical education, composer histories, and biographies, this channel is the perfect place to discover music history and gain a better appreciation for classical music.
Two Minute Music Theory
Two Minute Music Theory is a popular YouTube channel where viewers can learn about music history, theory, education and lessons. It provides viewers with helpful explanations of music composition and the works of famous composers. It is an invaluable source of knowledge on the vast history of music.
Music Lessons with Mrs. Morris
Mrs. Morris' YouTube channel offers educational and interactive content to help viewers learn the fundamentals of music. Through virtual lessons, viewers learn important topics in music, such as music history, elements of music, solfege, and choir. She provides fun, engaging lessons to help viewers gain a better understanding of music.
Twin Cities PBS
The Twin Cities PBS YouTube channel provides a wealth of music history, with topics ranging from Minnesota Hardcore to the Jim Crow racism of the North. You can learn to talk like a Minnesotan or discover the history behind the popular spiritual song Swing Low Sweet Chariot. It also has a wide array of Black History documentaries, Minnesota Hardcore music history, and more. Whatever your interests may be, the Twin Cities PBS YouTube channel has something for you.
Odd Quartet is a YouTube Channel dedicated to providing entertaining and comprehensive music education through their Crash Course Music series. Focusing on topics ranging from music history and theory all the way to synthesizers, eurorack and songwriting, the Odd Quartet offers a unique and exciting approach to learning about the world of music. With frequent content updates and interesting discussions on classical as well as modern day music, the Odd Quartet provides an enjoyable and interactive experience for music enthusiasts of all levels of expertise.
Piano con Diana
Piano con Diana is a YouTube channel of instructional videos focusing on music history and piano lessons. It provides easy-to-follow classes in piano and music theory, using a mix of history and music to make it easy and enjoyable to learn. Additionally, many of their lessons are completely free and accessible to anyone wanting to learn more about music history and how to play the piano. Musicbydianangulo is the YouTube channel's official hashtag, so be sure to check it out!
Ancient Origins of Music and its Development
We can trace music through the centuries from ancient times to the modern era. Music can be found in many different cultures and societies and has been around since the dawn of humanity. It is argued that music is the oldest form of communication known to man and has provided us with a powerful tool for expressing ourselves.
- Ancient music from before 1400 BC was mostly monophonic, having only one melody line without any harmony or rhythm. This is the type of music found in many ancient cultures, such as Sumerian music from Mesopotamia, ancient Egyptian music, and ancient Greek music.
- Around 1000 A.D., vocal and instrumental polyphonic music started to develop. Chant and Troubadour music were among the first fully composed polyphonic works. This led to the development of more intricate musical forms, such as motets, chansons and other forms of polyphonic compositions. Music went through several other steps in development as it moved from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance and into the Baroque period with the advent of modern instruments. It has continued to develop and change ever since and today, it remains a powerful tool for expression and a source of entertainment.
Bringing Music's History to Life Through Dance
Dancing to music throughout history has been one of the most popular forms of expression of human emotion and culture. Despite its long-standing presence in our society, few people explore the historical origins of the dances that make up the foundations of modern day movement.
- By diving into the complex history of music and the different dances it has inspired, we can gain a deeper understanding of how we, as a society, interact with one another. Taking the time to explore the variety of dance styles originating from different cultures can provide insight into the history of music culture. From the origination of hip hop dance to the traditional folk dances of the middle east, there is much to learn about the roots of the musical movements of the past.
- By sharing these stories through dance, we can give further life to the music of our past. Combining the style of old dancing with the modern beats can create something completely unique and engaging that encourages people to express themselves in a communal environment. Thus, setting the stage for our next musical event that's sure to transcend time. Bringing music's history to life through dance will always be something special and meaningful.
- Recently, modern music brought an elusive energy, with completely new styles of producing music. Disc jockeying has become an integral part of the modern music experience, and it’s especially evident in the dance scene.
The variety of sounds that DJs can create and manipulate to create some of the most unique and diverse dance beats is truly amazing. As the art of DJing continues to expand, we’ll be able to explore and discover new sounds that are made up of old rhythms and melodies.
The Evolution of Music Through the Ages
Music has come a long way since it's earliest known record back in the 1950s. During the past seven decades, music has been on a journey of transformation, constantly progressing and shifting in sound, atmosphere and genre. In the 1950s, we saw the emergence of rock and roll as it moved away from traditional blues and jazz, and kick-started the start of popular music.
- During the 1960s, music of the era changed again as the Beatles created a lasting impression on the music industry. Groups like the Rolling Stones and the Who had already kicked off the British Invasion, and the Beatles paved the way for more avant-garde music. Around the world, musicians began experimenting with more expansive, psychedelic sounds and even incorporating traditional music into their own. It was also a revolutionary time for folk music, as Bob Dylan and others popularized protest songs that commented on the cultural and political climate of the time.
- In the 1970s, music evolved once again with the invention of electronic music. This saw genres like disco, techno and trance become prominent. Additionally, funk spread in the African-American community, popularized by acts like Kool & The Gang and James Brown; glam rock made its mark by acts like David Bowie; plus, punk made its signature statement with artists such as the Sex Pistols. Music was inevitable transformed again with the emergence of rap and hiphop in the 1980s, which has continued to influence the music industry today.
As music history shows, it's continually evolving and adapting to ever-changing styles, tastes and technologies.