Are you interested in miniature painting? Whether you're new to the world of miniature painting or have been an enthusiast for a while, you have come to the right place. Here we review some of the best YouTube channels dedicated to miniature painting. So keep reading to find out which channels are worth subscribing to and which ones you should avoid.
Miniature painting: Top Youtube Channels
Don Suratos' YouTube channel is a great resource for miniature painters, showcasing his own miniature projects and providing tutorials using Umbra Turris miniatures, 3D printed miniatures, Gundam dioramas, Star Wars, Age of Sigmar, and Vallejo Mecha Colors. From helpful tips on getting started to detailed tutorials, Don Suratos' channel is a treasure trove of miniature painting inspiration.
Squidmar Miniatures YouTube channel provides detailed videos on miniature painting and terrain building from a wide range of games, such as Age of Sigmar, Kings of War, Dungeons and Dragons, and Warhammer 40k. Hosted by Luke, he offers techniques including painting miniatures, tutorials for converting and basing miniatures, and building interesting terrain.
Lyla Mev - The Mini Witch
Lyla Mev - The Mini Witch is a YouTube channel dedicated to providing the best miniature painting tutorials and techniques. With miniature painting tutorials for both beginners and experienced painters, step-by-step tips on zenithal priming, and reviews on some of the most popular miniatures including Sisters of Battle and Age of Sigmar, this channel has something for any mini painter. Whether it's discovering the latest trends in miniature painting or perfecting your very own painting styles, Lyla Mev - The Mini Witch is sure to have something for you!
Ph3lan's Miniatures is an excellent YouTube channel for miniature painting enthusiasts. It features a variety of tutorials on how to paint models from popular tabletop games such as Warhammer 40k and 30k. It also teaches viewers how to paint Space Marines, Primaris Marines, and other models from Corvus Belli. If you are a fan of Warhammer and want to learn how to paint your miniatures, Ph3lan's Miniatures is a great place to start.
Trovarion Miniatures is a YouTube channel devoted to Warhammer hobbies, miniature painting and tutorials, Dungeons and Dragons, Age of Sigmar, and Warhammer 40K. They provide tutorials to help viewers achieve their warhammer and miniature painting goals, as well as celebrating geek culture and featuring Squidmar Miniatures products. It is a great source of inspiration for miniature painters.
Zumikito Miniatures is a YouTube channel dedicated to miniature painting with a focus on painting warhammer miniatures for Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar and Space Marines range. It provides tutorials and videos covering eavy metal painting techniques as well as detailed how to paint warhammer miniatures. It's a great source for those wanting to learn the basics and brush up on their skills.
MS_Paints' YouTube channel is a source of inspiration and tutorials for miniature painting. It covers a wide range of topics on how to paint and build Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar miniatures, as well as 3D printing and foam crafts. The channel is run by someone with Multiple Sclerosis, which gives an extra layer of meaning to the content produced. Airbrushed techniques and in-depth tutorials are also regularly featured.
Devs & Dice
Devs & Dice is a YouTube channel that focuses on painting and assembling miniatures for board games, covering miniature painting, terrain building, and more. The channel focuses on Reaper Miniatures, Wizkids Miniatures, and Games Workshop products, and offers painting tutorial for miniatures. Whether just getting started or experienced in painting miniatures, Devs & Dice has something for everyone.
Dana Howl's YouTube channel is perfect for miniature painting aficionados. She offers great tutorials on topics such as Age of Sigmar, Warhammer painting, Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40k, and Painting Miniatures. With her expertise, you can start with the basics of miniature painting and quickly move on to more detailed projects like Warhammer Hobby and Space Marines. You'll have a blast and be able to paint like a pro in no time.
What Equipment Do You Need for Miniature Painting?
Miniature painting is a fun and rewarding hobby. However, the key to making mini figures look their best is having the right tools. If you’re ready to take on miniature painting, you may be wondering what you need to get started. Here's a quick rundown of the essential supplies needed for miniature painting.
- The first thing you’ll need is paints. High-quality acrylic paints are ideal for miniatures, and there are many brands to choose from. It’s a good idea to purchase a variety of colors for a realistic look. You’ll also need a few bottles of primer to make sure the minis are properly prepped before painting.
- In addition to paints, you’ll need a selection of brushes. Smaller brushes are great for small details and details, while larger brushes are more appropriate for larger surfaces. You should also pick up some fine-grit sandpaper to help create a smooth texture on the figures.
- Finally, you’ll need a selection of sealers to protect the miniatures from the elements after they’re finished.
With the right tools and a little practice, you can create amazing miniature pieces. Whether you’re an experienced artist or a beginner, you’ll get to enjoy the artistic expression that painting with miniatures offers.
Tips and Tricks to Create Beautiful Miniature Paintings
Miniature paintings can be an incredibly rewarding art form, with many different ways to create beautiful images. Whether the purpose is purely aesthetic, or for storytelling in Dungeons and Dragons or other role-playing games, it can be a great way to express yourself. Here are some tips and tricks to help create beautiful miniature paintings.
- The most important factor when painting miniatures is patience. Careful attention to detail and an eye for accuracy are key. When priming and layering, experimenting with different colors and techniques can bring a lot of fun and life to a piece. Remember to dilute the paint as necessary to avoid brush strokes. A tiny brush and quality paints really do make a difference when it comes to creating a miniature painting.
- The next tip is to think about composition and how to draw the viewer's eye. Focus on the placement of elements in the painting, creating a focal point to create interest and movement. Keeping the design simple is also important while creating miniaturized art. Working with a limited canvas takes creativity and experimentation, but the rewards can be great. Adding an extra flourish, like touches of glitter or pieces of scrapbooking paper, can make a miniature painting unique and magnificent.
Hopefully with these tips in mind, you can create stunning miniature paintings every time.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Painting Miniature
When painting miniature models, success requires attention to detail and a lot of patience. Unfortunately, mistakes can easily occur even by the best of painters. Whether you are a beginner or experienced, here are a few common mistakes to avoid when painting miniature models, so that you can get to exciting and impressive painting results.
- Firstly, do not rush. Rushing through each painting step can result in an unsatisfactory final result. For example, painting the base coats and details of figures can appear very daunting, but taking your time to properly respect the steps of the painting process can be very rewarding.
- Secondly, make sure to choose the right paint varieties for the job. It is important to use paint that is designed for figures, not craft paints or wall paint. Calculating how much paint is necessary for each job can be a tedious task, so having an organized approach can save time and money. Additionally, it is recommended to practice with different paints for test models first.
- Finally, be mindful when assembling a figure. Make sure all the parts of the miniature are securely attached before painting as it is very difficult, if not impossible, to paint once a model is fully assembled. Assembling and painting miniature models is a lengthy process, and mistakes in this early stage can be frustrating. Following the instructions closely and having a firm grasp on how the figure should be assembled is an essential step to avoid mistakes.
By following these simple tips, painting miniature models will become a more enjoyable process. With the right supplies and patience, impressive results can be achieved that you will be proud of. Take the time to practice and experiment to find out what works best for you and your figures. With a little care and patience, you can become a master painter of miniature models.