The Yoruba language is spoken in Nigeria and other parts of Africa. It is a very rich language with a long history and many different dialects. If you're interested in learning Yoruba, or if you already speak it and want to learn more about the culture and history of the language, there are some great YouTube channels that can help you. Check out our list of the best Yoruba YouTube channels to find the right one for you.
Learning yoruba language: Top Youtube Channels
Yorùbá Lessons with Adérónkẹ́
The Yorùbá Lessons with Adérónkẹ́ YouTube channel is a destination for anyone interested in learning the Yoruba language. The lessons are taught by a native Yoruba speaker, Adérónkẹ́, and cover a wide range of topics related to the Yoruba culture and tradition. The channel is also a great resource for beginners, as Adérónkẹ́ provides clear and concise explanations of the various concepts covered in the lessons.
If you're interested in learning Yoruba, or if you're simply curious about the Yoruba culture, I highly recommend checking out the Yorùbá Lessons with Adérónkẹ́ YouTube channel. You won't be disappointed!
I Speak Yoruba Too
I Speak Yoruba Too is a YouTube channel that helps people learn the Yoruba language. The channel includes lessons on the alphabet, common phrases, and how to read and write in Yoruba. There are also videos on the culture and history of the Yoruba people.
The channel has been growing steadily since it started in July 2020, and now has over 1,930 subscribers. The videos have been viewed over 57,000 times.
If you're interested in learning Yoruba, or want to know more about the Yoruba people and culture, then be sure to check out I Speak Yoruba Too!
Yoruba for Kidz
The Yoruba for Kidz YouTube channel helps kids learn the Yoruba language through fun videos. The channel features classic nursery rhymes and kids' songs in Yoruba, as well as educational videos about the Yoruba culture and language. The channel is a great resource for parents and teachers who want to help kids learn Yoruba, and for kids who are interested in learning more about African languages and cultures.
Subscribe to Yoruba for Kidz on YouTube to get access to their latest videos and educational content. Help your kids learn Yoruba in a fun and engaging way with Yoruba for Kidz!
Diaspora Speaks Yoruba
Diaspora Speaks Yoruba is a YouTube channel providing Yoruba language lessons for people of all ages. With native speakers and tutorials, it is a great resource for anyone wanting to learn Yoruba, whether they are a native speaker of the language or a diaspora learning more about their heritage. With lessons designed for both kids and adults, it is a great way to get a comprehensive look into the Yoruba language and culture.
Yoruba Kids Videos
Yoruba Kids Videos is an informative and entertaining YouTube channel that offers insight into the nurturing, rich culture of the Yoruba people. Through a fun and light-hearted approach, the channel strives to impart knowledge and foster an appreciation of the Yoruba language, lifestyle, and heritage. It's an excellent resource for all ages who are looking to explore and expand their understanding of this vibrant culture.
DNVlogsLife TV is a popular family vlogging YouTube channel featuring a black family in Nigeria. It provides daily vlogs and family vlogs, offering viewers insight into their day-to-day lives. Recently, they have also started teaching viewers how to learn Yoruba language. This family is one of the most popular family vloggers in the Nigerian vlogging sphere. Enjoy a glimpse into their day in life!
Get a Better Life TV
Get a Better Life TV is a YouTube channel dedicated to exploring African traditional religions, especially within the Yoruba culture. It covers topics such as the Ifa religion and the Odu Ifa, as well as African culture, traditions, and learning how to speak Yoruba. The channel provides viewers with a better life, helping them draw closer to nature and their ancestral ways. Through the channel, they can access helpful knowledge, understanding, and growth brought by a dedicated Ifa priest.
The SOJULOORE TV YouTube channel covers Yoruba language learning. They have short films, as well as longer movies and documentaries. This is a great resource for anyone interested in learning more about the Yoruba language and culture.
They have a great mix of content, and their videos are high quality. As of now, they have 219 videos and 7,750 subscribers. I highly encourage you to check out their channel and learn more about the Yoruba language.
Blessing Kayode's YouTube channel is all about learning the Yoruba language, giving advice on relationships and lifestyle topics, and covering beauty and fashion. Her videos are fun and informative, and she has a great personality that makes her easy to watch and learn from. If you're interested in any of these topics, be sure to check out her channel!
CultureTree TV is a YouTube channel that helps people learn the Yoruba language through educational materials like nursery rhymes, stories, and lullabies. The channel is geared towards children but can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
The channel was started in December 2015 and has over 100 videos. It has 11,100 subscribers.
We encourage you to check out CultureTree TV for yourself. The videos are fun and informative, and you might just learn something new!
Nalingo Naija is a YouTube channel that helps viewers learn Yoruba, a language spoken in West Africa. The channel features videos on topics such as learning to speak Yoruba, Nigerian actors and acting, and African culture and ethnicity.
Nalingo Naija has been growing steadily since it started in July 2019, and now has over 57 videos and 1,500 subscribers. The channel's popularity is due in part to its high-quality content and its focus on a niche market. If you're interested in learning Yoruba or African culture, then Nalingo Naija is the channel for you.
Lextorah Tv is a YouTube channel that helps users to learn various languages like Yoruba, German, French, Chinese, Spanish, Igbo, and Hausa with its learning videos made specifically for adults and children. It is especially beneficial for those located in Lagos, Nigeria as they can easily learn these languages with its practical and engaging content.
Resources for Learning Yoruba
Yoruba is an important language spoken by the Yoruba people in West Africa. The language is used in various areas of life such as business, politics, religions and even media. There are many resources for learning Yoruba, which can help anyone become fluent in the language.
- One of the best resources for learning Yoruba is online courses. These online courses are tailored to the learner's needs and can offer multiple levels of instruction. They can also be accessed at any time, allowing the learner to study in their own time. The courses can include video lessons and audio recordings of native speakers pronouncing the language, as well as online forums to discuss the language and written materials to help the learner with their pronunciation.
- Books are another great resource for learning Yoruba. There are many books available which provide basic grammar and vocabulary as well as more advanced topics such as Yoruba culture and literature. These books are helpful for those who are looking to become proficient in the language, as well as for those who simply want to know more about the culture and heritage of the Yoruba people. Additionally, there are also many dictionaries and phrase books available which can be used for reference.
In conclusion, there are a wide range of resources for learning Yoruba. Whether you are looking for online courses or books, there is something for everyone to help them become proficient in the language. With the help of these resources, anyone can become fluent in Yoruba.
Challenges in Learning Yoruba
Learning Yoruba can be a challenging yet rewarding process. It is a tonal language with complex grammar, unfamiliar phonology and limited resources for learners of the language. Whether you’re a non-native speaker learning the language from scratch or a native speaker looking to brush up their existing skills, mastering Yoruba takes time and commitment.
- One of the biggest challenges learners face is the language’s complex pronunciation and tones. Yoruba has nine tones (including low-level, high-level, falling and rising) plus doubled and nasalized vowel combinations, which can be difficult to differentiate as they don’t exist in many other languages. This can make it hard to pronounce familiar words in a way that is recognisable to native speakers.
- Another key challenge is the language’s complex grammar. With nominal and tonal inflection, two numeral systems and various verb forms, the language has a lot of rules and exceptions to learn. As a result, learners of all levels may find it difficult to communicate effectively and accurately, even after acquiring a basic command of the language.
- Additionally, learners may struggle to find resources, be it in the form of classes, books or audio materials, to support their learning journey.
Nevertheless, with enough motivation and effort, these challenges can be overcome and the reward of learning a new language is immense.
Exploring Traditional Yoruba Culture
Yoruba culture is one of the oldest and most ourished African cultures. It is steeped in tradition and has had a profound influence on the music, art, and literature of West Africa. The Yoruba people have their own unique language, beliefs, customs, and even their own calendar. This rich culture is filled with vibrant ceremonies and festivals, music, and the spirit of community. Exploring traditional Yoruba culture can be an incredibly rewarding experience, especially for those interested in learning more about the African diaspora.
- One of the most important parts of the Yoruba culture is religion. The primary deity worshipped is Olorun, the sky god. It is believed that everything in the world comes from him and he is the creator of the cosmos. This belief causes them to emphasize the importance of ancestors and their role in the lives of their living relatives. The Yoruba people also revere a number of other gods, some of which were created in response to certain crises or events that impacted the community.
- In order to best appreciate the Yoruba culture, it’s important to understand the core values held by its people. Respect for others, knowledge and learning, cooperation, generosity, and resilience are all integral to the culture. Additionally, traditional Yoruba foods and recipes are an important part of the culture and tell a story about the resilience, resourcefulness, and creativity of the people. By exploring traditional Yoruba culture, one can get a glimpse into the lives of thousands of years of West African history.