With more people starting to realize the importance of holistic health and well-being, many have been looking into different movement practices and mindful activities. One mainstream practice that is becoming popular is Feldenkrais, a modality that combines the principles of mindfulness with physical movement. If you're curious to know more about this practice, like its method, history, and classroom or online lessons, then don't worry! This guide will give you a brief overview of Feldenkrais and then introduce you to some of the best YouTube channels you can follow to learn more. So keep reading to find out more!
Feldenkrais: Top Youtube Channels
The Feldenkrais Access YouTube channel contains lessons and exercises from renowned Feldenkrais Method teacher David Zemach-Bersin, based on the teachings of Moshe Feldenkrais. Videos include Feldenkrais exercises, Functional Integration sessions, and Awareness Through Movement lessons, helping viewers improve movement and posture, reduce stress and tension, and gain better body awareness. Join thousands of viewers to access the power of Feldenkrais Method exercises and enjoy mindful practice.
Future Life Now
Future Life Now is a YouTube channel that promotes lifelong health and well-being through the Feldenkrais Method. Through a variety of Feldenkrais exercises, Awareness through Movement, and Bones For Life classes, the channel explores ways to improve the body's movement intelligence, create a healthy nervous system, and address back pain and balance issues. Practitioners and viewers alike can learn simple and expansive ways to move that promote relaxation and well-being.
Annie Sensing Vitality
Annie Sensing Vitality YouTube channel is dedicated to providing educational videos about the Feldenkrais Method, mindfulness, and movement. Created by Annie Thoe, viewers will find Feldenkrais lessons, nature awareness exercises, self-help exercises, and guided meditations to help them reduce back pain, relax their minds and body, and increase their vitality.
Plant Base Films
Plant Base Films is a YouTube channel devoted to the Feldenkrais technique, a holistic approach to enhancing body awareness and movement. The channel offers informative videos and tutorials from Feldenkrais experts to help viewers understand and benefit from this unique approach to self-improvement.
Move with Seth
Integrated Self of Eugene
Integrated Self of Eugene is a YouTube channel for people interested in holistic health and physical fitness. The channel shares Feldenkrais techniques and lifestyle advice to help viewers improve posture, alignment, mobility, and overall fitness. They focus on helping people construct an integrated, balanced and healthy self.
Movement & Creativity
Movement & Creativity is a YouTube channel hosted by Tiffany Sankary, which focuses on the Feldenkrais Method and Organic Intelligence, providing viewers with learning opportunities to develop awareness and creativity. Through her videos, she offers creative and practical approaches to integrating Feldenkrais into daily life.
Infinite Movement is a YouTube channel located in Upper Manhattan, New York, offering functional movement classes based on the Feldenkrais method, restorative exercises, and personal training. They offer Inwood Movement Classes and Inwood Yoga, allowing students to attend classes in a group setting in Washington Heights.
Angela McMillan's YouTube channel is a great resource for anyone interested in Feldenkrais, dance, yoga, pilates, and movement. She provides informative videos on these topics, as well as helpful tips for online marketing and social media. Her channel is the perfect place for people looking to improve their movement, marketing, and social media skills.
Tips for Successful Feldenkrais Practice
Successful Feldenkrais practice involves consciously attending to movement and exploring it, noticing what feels good and what doesn’t. Practicing Feldenkrais can bring increased awareness, greater ease of movement and improved posture. Here are some tips to keep in mind that should help you get the most out of your Feldenkrais sessions.
- Firstly, be sure to stay focused on the sensation of your body in motion. Concentrate on how every movement feels and connect with it emotionally and mentally. Taking your time and focusing on the quality of each movement can help to bring about desired change and physical relief.
- Next, don’t rush or try to push into a movement. Ease into each posture, focusing on slow smooth and comfortable movement. Embrace the practice and tense muscles should be relaxed. As well as having a positive impact on posture and coordination, this can help to reduce general stress levels.
- Finally, remain mindful throughout your Feldenkrais practice. Don't be tempted to let your mind wander, instead enjoy the present moment and make note of any changes in the way your body is moving. This can help to further refine your practice, as it allows you to build up a better understanding of the effects the movements are having on the body.
By paying close attention to what your body is communicating and maintaining a mindful approach, you can optimize your Feldenkrais practice and enjoy its many wonderful benefits.
Benefits of Practicing Feldenkrais
The Feldenkrais Method is a practice of increasing physical and mental awareness through gentle, mindful movement. It has countless health benefits, many of which are not widely known. Whether you’re a professional athlete or the average office worker, practicing Feldenkrais can be extremely beneficial to both your body and your mind.
- One of the main benefits of the Feldenkrais Method is improved posture. Correct posture maximizes your ability to function at your best, allowing your tissues and muscles to move properly and without strain. This can also effectively reduce stress and improve coordination as well as reduce chronic pain caused by misalignment. The Feldenkrais method is particularly useful for those that spend much of the day at a desk or computer, as it enables practitioners to become more aware of how their body is positioned and learn correct postural habits.
- Practicing Feldenkrais can also help to boost physical and mental performance. Through increased awareness, fluidity of movement and improved body mechanics, practitioners are able to move more efficiently – leading to higher energy levels, better focus and improved coordination. Additionally, mindfulness practices within Feldenkrais encourages a greater connection to the body and its needs, as well as to the present moment. This leads to greater awareness of needs and a sense of being more grounded, amongst other benefits.
- The Feldenkrais Method is a great practice to tackle both physical and mental issues and can help to improve overall quality of life. Whether your goal is to improve posture, reduce pain and stress, or simply to develop a greater sense of wellbeing, the practice certainly has something to offer for everyone. Try it for yourself and experience the amazing benefits of the Feldenkrais Method.
Overall, the Feldenkrais Method is an incredibly beneficial practice for both physical and mental health. With improved posture, movement efficiency, coordination and increased awareness, there are countless health benefits that can be gained from practicing Feldenkrais. Whether you’re looking to reduce chronic pain, elevate mental and physical performance or improve overall wellbeing, the Feldenkrais Method is the perfect choice. So why not give it a try – you have nothing to lose and can only experience the amazing benefits it has to offer.
Types of Feldenkrais Movements
The Feldenkrais Method is an effective and holistic approach to improving and/or maintaining health and well-being, originated by neurophysiologist Dr Moshe Feldenkrais. The method focuses on bettering the yet poorly understood connection between body and mind. This is achieved through a series of gentle, yet surprisingly effective, guided movements that are designed to improve the body’s natural range of motion and flexibility. The practice of Feldenkrais movements helps to increase self-awareness, reduce stress, and restore balance within the body.
There are four main types of Feldenkrais movements: Awareness Through Movement (ATM), Functional Integration (FI), Expanded Movement, and group lessons.
- Awareness Through Movement consists of a series of verbal instructions, which guide one in moving slowly and gently; this type of movement allows one to gain awareness of their body’s postural habits and movement patterns.
- Functional Integration (FI) sessions involve one-on-one work with a practitioner; the practitioner uses gentle touch to help guide the recipient in performing a particular movement, with the aim of increasing awareness and ease of movement.
- Expanded Movement utilizes the Feldenkrais techniques of Awareness Through Movement and Functional Integration to increase dynamic range of motion and mobility, so that the individual is able to move more freely and comfortably.
- Finally, group lessons involve a variety of movements that develop a greater understanding of how one’s body works and how they can learn to move more easily and naturally.
In conclusion, the Feldenkrais Method is an effective approach to improving one’s physical and mental health and well-being. There are a variety of different Feldenkrais movements that work to increase awareness of one’s posture, flexibility and natural range of motion, reduce stress, and restore balance within the body. With practice, these gentle and surprisingly effective movements can bring about positive changes to the way one moves and ultimately, to the way one lives.