Are you looking for the best YouTube channels to satiate your interest in fashion history and the latest runway trends? Look no further! In this article, you will find the perfect YouTube channels to help you discover the history of fashion, learn sewing and costuming techniques, and follow along with the latest fashion news. From iconic brands such as Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton to the latest cutting-edge trends, these channels have it all! Keep reading to find the best YouTube channels for fashion history, fashion, sewing and costuming.
Fashion Roadman is a YouTube channel dedicated to luxury and high end fashion trends, detailing fashion history and runway analysis with a focus on both men's and women's fashion. Along with recaps of the latest trends, the channel also offers tips on how to curate mens style and womens fashion looks.
The Ultimate Fashion History
The Ultimate Fashion History YouTube channel provides viewers with a comprehensive look at fashion spanning over a million years. Offering a range of topics from fashion history to period costumes to film, viewers can learn about style icons through the ages, as well as movie fashions from the past. A great resource for anyone curious about costume history, this fashion history channel is the ultimate source for learning about fashion through the ages.
Fashion History Sessions
Fashion History Sessions is a YouTube channel that offers insights on fashion history and its development over the centuries. It features videos about key elements of fashion history style, from historic silhouettes to groundbreaking materials. Discover the stories that have shaped the world of fashion and see how history has influenced today's fashion trends.
Elaine Johnston's YouTube channel offers an in-depth look into the world of fashion history and lifestyle, featuring videos that showcase her knowledge and passion for fashion. She discusses current trends and how they are inspired by history as well as providing tips and inspiration to improve your own wardrobe and personal style.
Justine Leconte officiel
Justine Leconte's official YouTube channel offers viewers a unique and engaging experience in the world of fashion. Through her videos, she covers topics such as fashion history, fashion trends, body type, French style and French women. She also provides fashion tips and advice, showing viewers how to build a wardrobe that suits their own style, as well as fashion hauls and capsule wardrobe ideas. Her channel is an essential destination for any woman interested in learning more about fashion and how to create stylish looks.
Abby Cox's YouTube channel is a great resource for fashion and costume enthusiasts. She covers topics ranging from 18th century to antique clothing and even unboxing of rare and vintage clothing items. Her videos explore the history of fashion and dress from the Victorian era to the Edwardian era. She offers an in-depth look at historical costume and clothing of the past.
Nicole Rudolph's YouTube channel is a must-see for anyone interested in learning about historical fashion. She provides detailed tutorials on a variety of topics including sewing, tailoring, making corsets, costuming and cosplay, as well as shoemaking. Her channel offers an in-depth look into fashion history, giving viewers an understanding of how clothes were created in the past. A great resource for fashion enthusiasts, Nicole Rudolph's YouTube channel is a brilliant way to explore garments from different eras.
SnappyDragon is a YouTube channel devoted to fashion history and historical costuming. It covers a range of topics, from the victorian costume and dress history of the 1850s-90s to 18th century costume, providing detailed tutorials and project ideas on how to replicate patterns and styles of the past. From dressmaking to embroidery, sewing and armor making, SnappyDragon is a fantastic resource for those looking to get creative with their historical costuming.
Summer Anne Lee
Summer Anne Lee's YouTube channel is a great resource for anyone interested in fashion design, fashion history, and costume history. She takes a thought-provoking approach to understanding the stories behind fashion and dress through museum visits, interviews with industry professionals and original design projects. She has become a trusted source for learning about the past, present and future of fashion.
Alicia V's YouTube channel focuses on the history of fashion, offering viewers in-depth analysis and unique perspectives on a variety of styles and trends through the ages. She delves into the culture, art, and economics of various eras and cultures to provide a full picture of the fashion history. Her creative videos bring the past to life and offer appreciation and insight into the world of fashion.
Overview of the Major Eras in Fashion History
Fashion history is a fascinating subject, with each era often providing interesting fashion statements and silhouettes. From the flapper styles of the roaring twenties, to the shoulder pad-filled eighties, there are so many different eras that have made an impact on the fashion world. Below is an overview of the major eras in fashion history.
- The 1920s was a decade full of glamour and refinement, with beautiful beaded gowns and intricate trimmings. The flapper girl typically worn a cloche hat, corset, and a drop-waisted dress to emphasize a slender figure. Wooden clogs, double breasted buttoned blazers, and leather boots were all fashionable items of the day.
- The 1950s was an era of class and elegance, with well-structured shapes and adornments. Christian Dior’s ‘New Look’ was the main influence in this era, featuring fitted jackets, full skirts, and statement hats. Women often donned pencil skirts, poodle skirts, and full skirts with Capri pants becoming well-known at this time. Accessories like pearls and gloves completed the look.
- Fast-forward to the 1980s, and it was all about bold shoulder pads, oversized blazers, and power suiting for both men and women. During this time, neon colors and metallic fabrics were popular. The eighties also saw the birth of athleisure, with items like sweatpants and over-sized T-shirts becoming fashionable.
Each era in fashion history has had an impact on the fashion world in different ways. From the fitted silhouettes of the 50s to the more flamboyant looks of the 80s, fashion has always been a way of expressing your individual style. Of course, fashion trends have evolved over time with technology advancing and new styles emerging, but the core foundation of fashion still lies within these major eras.
Historical Fashion Icons of Popular Culture
Popular culture can often be seen as a reflection of our times, and is filled with icons of different genres that make a lasting impression on us. One genre that has seen a prominent place in popular culture over the years is fashion. From trendsetters to rule breakers, certain figures have become synonymous with fashion and have made their mark in history with their style.
- The first icon of fashion is undoubtedly Coco Chanel. Chanel was at the forefront of introducing new silhouettes that favoured comfort and simplicity, transforming the fashion landscape of the era. Her use of reinterpreted menswear in womenswear, as well as the modern take on her classic designs have made her a lasting influence that we still benefit from to this day.
- Another iconic figure of fashion is Audrey Hepburn. Known best for her timelessly elegant and sophisticated style, she graced the silver screen with her effortless grace. While her style was a reflection of the classiness of classic Hollywood, it was her minimal and modern aesthetic that inspired trends amongst the common woman. From her timelessly iconic little black dress, homage is still paid to Hepburn's flare for fashion even today.
Overall, fashion icons have become a part of popular culture, having left behind an everlasting impression with their iconic style. From Chanel to Hepburn, these timeless fashionistas will always remain a part of popular culture.
Analyzing the Impact of Social Movements on Fashion
Fashion can be seen as a reflection of the culture and societal values of the time. As social movements spark interest from the public, they often have a direct influence on the way people dress. We have seen the effects of this throughout history, as societal norms evolve and fashion trends become increasingly popular. In recent years, the rise of worldwide social movements has had a major impact on fashion.
- The #MeToo movement, for instance, made a statement on the red carpet at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards when celebrities adorned all-black ensembles as a display of solidarity in support of women affected by sexual harassment and abuse. Similarly, the BLM movement had direct effects on the 2018 NYFW runway clothing, featuring prominent hues of purple and slogans such as "We wear the pants," as designers sought to express the message of empowerment and equal rights.
- Fashion has also become a platform for members of the LGBTQ+ community to express themselves and advocate for acceptance. During the 2019 Pride Month, many of the world’s leading fashion labels released collections of rainbow-themed clothing for gender-fluid individuals, as a way of dwelling in the beauty of individuality and self-expression. By using fashion to communicate messages of social change, these movements contribute to normalizing acceptance and respect.
Ultimately, fashion has become a powerful tool of self-expression that allows individuals to visually advocate for social issues. By examining the relationship between fashion and social movements, we can continue to promote acceptance and broaden public perspective on important issues.