Welcome to our search of the best YouTube channels for art and painting lovers! Whether you're looking for pastel painting tips, art painting lessons, or tutorials for drawing, we've got you covered. Keep reading to discover the top YouTube channels for watercolor, pencil drawing, oil pastel drawing, and more. With our expert list, you can develop your skills and be inspired by the best of the best in the art and painting world. So what are you waiting for? Let's jump right in!
Dry painting (pastel): Top Youtube Channels
Monet Cafe' with Artist Susan Jenkins
Susan Jenkins' YouTube channel, Monet Cafe' with Artist Susan Jenkins, offers free art lessons and painting tutorials featuring soft pastel painting and pastel landscape scenes. Watch her instructional art vlog and learn how to create pieces using dry painting and other techniques with her expert art instruction.
P V Hanumanthu Art
P V Hanumanthu Art YouTube channel focuses on providing step-by-step tutorials on how to draw and paint with soft pastel colours. It offers instruction for everyone from beginners to experienced artists alike. The videos are easy to follow and offer an array of techniques to explore. Here viewers can learn how to use pastels, as well as how to blend and layer with softer pastels while creating beautiful dry paintings. It is a great channel for kids who are just starting out, and anyone looking to improve their skills.
Sudip Sarkar Art
Sudip Sarkar Art is a YouTube channel by artist, Sudip Sarkar, that features pastel painting, drawing and oil pastel artwork. It offers an array of art shorts and guided video tutorials to help viewers create their own artworks using oil pastel. Through the channel, Sudip Sarkar aims to share his passion for art and spark creativity in budding amateur artists. His artwork displays talent and knowledge in the field of oil pastel painting.
Karen Margulis's YouTube channel is great for anyone looking to explore the world of pastel painting. She offers a range of art tutorials, art vlogs, and how-to demonstrations, all focusing on pastel painting for beginners and advanced painters alike. She also offers insightful pastel painting tutorials that can help anyone get a better understanding of the dry painting technique. Whether you're starting out or already an experienced pastel artist, Karen Margulis's channel is sure to offer something new and helpful!
Alain Picard's YouTube channel covers a wide range of topics related to pastels and painting. He offers painting lessons, dry pastel painting demonstrations, helpful tips, tutorials and painting advice for those interested in landscape, portrait, and still life painting. He also has a number of videos specifically focused on pastel painting for beginners, making his channel a great resource for anyone interested in learning more about the art of pastels. Fresh, engaging content makes it an ideal source of inspiration for both beginners and experienced artists alike.
Lana Ballot's YouTube channel focuses on pastel art tutorials, from simple step-by-step pastel tutorials to more advanced technique videos. She provides tutorials on pastel painting and painting waves, as well as videos dedicated to showing off her own pastel artwork. Her channel also contains helpful advice and tips on how to take your art to the next level. Follow Lana Ballot's journey and explore the world of pastel art through her videos!
Graciela Bombalova's YouTube channel showcases her work as an incredible pastel painting portrait artist. Focusing on portraits on pastel, viewers can learn how to make a painting, portrait or pastel portrait, the technique of soft pastel, and get exclusive pastel portrait lessons. Her videos offer viewers an insight into the world of pastel portraits and the profession of portraiture.
Exploring the Needed Supplies for Pastel Painting
Pastel painting is a unique and vibrant way to create art. It is a particular skill that requires mixing colors in an intricate and unique way, blending pastels into a work of art. Before beginning, it is important to have the correct supplies for the best results. Here is a comprehensive look at the necessary supplies for anyone who is inspired to take up pastel painting.
- The most important materials are of course the pastels themselves, and there are a few different varieties. Soft pastels are the most popular option as they have a creamy texture which is good for adding detail. Hard pastels are also popular, as they are more compact and can be used for both drawing and painting. Whichever type of pastel is chosen, it is important to have several shades on hand to help create the desired effect.
- In addition to pastels, other materials such as paper, boards, and pencils will be needed. The paper or boards should be of a texture that is specifically designed for pastel painting. An extra-smooth paper is good for bringing out the vibrant shades of the pastels. Pencils are helpful when drawing out the desired painting before beginning to apply pastels to the boards. Ordering a set of blending and detail tools such as smudging stumps or blending tools is also necessary. These tools are instrumental in achieving seamless blends and creating detailed textures.
With these materials in hand, the artist is ready to begin their journey into pastel painting. With the right supplies and a little bit of practice, creating beautiful, bright pieces of art is easy to accomplish. Exploring the artistic possibilities offered in pastel painting is both rewarding and enjoyable.
Tips to Mastering Dry Painting with Pastels
Mastering dry painting with pastels is an enjoyable and simple way to create beautiful artworks. To help you out, here are a few tips that can help transform your pastel art into eye-catching pieces.
- Firstly, one of the most essential skills when it comes to pastel art is ensuring you have a solid understanding of color theory. Learning the basics such as primary, secondary, tertiary, and complementary colors will ensure your artworks look cohesive and well thought out. By mastering the nuances of color theory, such as color mixing and the effects of light and shadow on colors, your artistry will be taken to the next level.
- In order to have successful dry painting with pastels, you will need quality materials that are suited for the purpose. Invest in high quality pastel papers, textures, and materials like canvas and wood to create a lasting masterpiece. Layering your pastels can help you to add a more dynamic feel to your painting, as well as add greater depth and vibrancy. You can also incorporate different textures and markings into your artwork to make them a more interesting to look at.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to take risks, experiment, and practice. Dedicating yourself to practice makes perfect and experimenting with new techniques and various materials will also allow for lots of creative growth. Through trial and error, you will eventually master the art of dry painting with pastels and produce the artwork of your dreams.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Dry Painting with Pastels
When working with pastels, it is important to be aware of the common mistakes to avoid. Dry painting with pastels can be challenging but can result in beautiful artwork if done correctly. Here are some of the biggest mistakes to avoid when dry painting with pastels:
- One of the most common mistakes to avoid is overworking the painting. Pastel is a very delicate medium and can look quite muddy if worked on too much. It is best to work slowly and let the pigment of the pastels speak for itself. This will make for a much more vivid and vibrant painting.
- Another common mistake to avoid is using too much fixative. This can create a cloudy look to the painting by quickly dulling the vibrant colors. Additionally, using too much fixative can cause the pigment to form clumps which can be difficult to remove. Use just the right amount of fixative and allow it to dry before applying more.
- Lastly, it is important to use the proper paper for pastels. Too much texture on the paper can cause the pigment to stick to it, making it difficult to move around. Using a paper like velour or sanded paper is perfect for dry painting with pastels. Knowing the paper to use can go a long way to creating the perfect painting.