Are you a fan of alternate history and politics? Do you enjoy developing your knowledge of maps, geography and history? Maybe you're looking to explore even further and see what the alternate future might bring. If any of this is true, then you're in luck! Here, we've gathered the best of the best YouTube channels ? from those already exploring the world of Alternate History to those providing a unique take on mapping and more ? to ensure you get the most out of your travels. So, keep scrolling for the ultimate source of unique content that covers everything from HOI4, to Alternate History and beyond.
Alternate history: Top Youtube Channels
The Alternate Historian
The Alternate Historian YouTube channel explores the fascinating world of what ifs in an alternate history, where events take a different path and lead to a counterfactual or alternative reality. Explore hundreds of featured topics and events, and see how the past may have unfolded in an alternate timeline.
Monsieur Z's YouTube channel is a treasure trove of incredible alternate history perspectives. With videos covering topics from ancient Rome to American history, you can explore the possibilities of What-If scenarios, dive into the nuances of US of Z, and get History Explained with Mister Z. Explore the wonders of alternate history with Monsieur Z!
Vologda Mapping is a YouTube channel dedicated to exploring alternate history and mapping worlds inspired by and similar to famous franchises like Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings. It also covers a range of topics and issues such as world politics, history, and the Ukraine. Fans of maps and mapping will find the channel especially interesting.
What Why How
What Why How is a YouTube channel focused on exploring the past and present of alternate history, politics, and geography, through the use of maps, flags, and other elements. Their informative and entertaining content provides a fascinating look into the stories, people, and events that shaped our world.
Popular Alternate History Scenarios
Alternate history, also known as “Allohistory”, is the what-if game of imagining the history of the world with assumptions of changing one event in history. Generally, alternate history scenarios take place during the WW2 era, and we’re not talking about time travel. Let’s discuss some of the popular alternate history scenarios to give you an idea of how it works.
- One of the most popularly-considered scenarios is the Nazi victory in World War II, which removes the Allied nations from the equation. The question of how the respective governments and people would have reacted to such change in the world order is a complex one. This is the most popular of alternate history scenarios since Nazi Germany was the ultimate evil that the Allied powers were fighting against.
- Another popular alternate history scenario is the one where the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki do not happen. Here, the Japanese do not surrender and the fighting continues, possibly leading to a prolonged and more devastating war with mass casualties. The questions that alternate timeline theorists ponder regard the use of even more powerful weapons by the US to win the war, or if the bomb-less war drags on long enough for the Soviet Union to enter the war against Japan. Whatever the outcome, it is certain that without atomic bombs, the fate of the world could have changed drastically.
In any case, it’s interesting to think about how the future would have been different if certain events in the past had played out differently. Alternate timeline scenarios offer an interesting insight into what could have been, if only the history of the world had taken a different route.
Potential Benefits of Studying Alternate History
Studying alternate history can benefit students in a variety of ways.
- Firstly, it can offer them a unique insight into the concept of 'What if?'. Analyzing how our world could have evolved differently can teach students a great deal about cause and effect. In a nutshell, an awareness of the choices and actions that may lead to alternative outcomes can be a valuable tool.
- Alternate history can also enhance analytical and critical thinking skills. When engaging in an in-depth examination of the events that could have transpired, students become more adept at understanding the connections between different events. This skill is invaluable, as its application can often shed new light on the decisions we make and how they shape our present and future.
- Finally, alternate history studies open our eyes to the fact that the world we live in today is a result of the actions of people from the past. An increased understanding of the ways that different societies and cultures have evolved can lead to greater respect and understanding of those that are different to our own. Through this, alternate history can play an important role in promoting empathy and self-reflection in our young people.
Overall, the potential benefits of studying alternate history are considerable.
The Appeal of Alternate History to Authors and Readers Alike
Alternate history – stories about events that have unfolded differently from the known past – have long been a popular subject for authors and readers alike. It appeals to our sense of curiosity and can be used as a powerful tool for storytelling. To prove this, we need look no further than the plethora of alternate history works already in existence, written by both established and newcomer authors.
- Alternate history can be used to tell stories and explore what-ifs in realistic, yet revolutionary ways. By changing our understanding of the past, authors can explore different paths that events may have taken, ultimately impacting the present and future of characters and readers alike. This allows us to look at the same events from different angles which naturally leads to exciting new plotlines. It also makes the story unpredictable, adding an extra layer of interest to the reading experience.
- Not only this, but alternate history can be used to comment on current events in a clever way. It encourages readers to think more deeply about the things happening around them, challenging their beliefs and prejudices. With so many possibilities, stories in this genre offer almost limitless potential for exploration and creativity, making them an appealing choice for authors and readers alike.
Alternative history truly is a genre that draws in readers with its creative storytelling as well as its in-depth exploration of certain themes. It's easy to see why it continues to be an exciting option for both authors and readers who are looking for something different. With so many possibilities for exploration and analysis, it's no surprise that alternate history continues to be one of the most popular genres in literature.